Thrifty Homemade Sandwich Bread
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2-3/4 tsp yeast (1 packet + 1/2 tsp)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour OR bread flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- Mix together the hot water (not scalding, but hot from the tap), sugar and yeast and stir. Let sit for about 10 minutes, allowing the yeast to "bloom"
- Dump this mixture into a stand mixer and mix in the vegetable oil, salt and the flour, one cup at a time, using your dough hook. Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer to combine the ingredients and then knead it by hand
- Continue mixing a few minutes until dough clings to the bread hook and doesn't stick to the bowl. Mix another 3-4 minutes after the non-sticky dough is formed.
- Remove dough from hook, place dough ball in a bowl and cover with a light kitchen towel. Let rise in a draft-free area for approximately 1.5 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down, shape into an oval loaf-like shape and turn the seams under.
- Place in a greased loaf pan; cover loosely with plastic wrap (spray it with cooking oil first if you're worried about it sticking).
- Let dough rise a second time until almost doubled - approximately one hour.
- Bake in loaf pan approximately 25 minutes at 350 degrees
|This article adapted from this site|