Southern Black Eyed Peas
- 4-5 green onions, chopped (or 1 medium
- white onion, chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) bag of dry black eyed peas
- Smoked Turkey (as much as you
- desire. I used half of a fully cooked, smoked turkey leg. Just chopped the meat up into bits. You can leave it whole if you do not like meat in your black eyed peas but like the flavor)
- 6-8 cups of chicken broth (or enough to cover the beans)
- Red pepper flakes,
- black pepper (optional)
- Sort & wash the black eyed peas. Set aside.
- Chop onions & garlic.
- In a large pot, add in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and saute the onions and garlic until tender.
- Add in the chopped meat, black eye peas, & chicken broth
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until black eyed peas are tender.
- Remove from heat and let sit covered for about 10-15 minutes.
- Season with red pepper & black pepper if desired.
This article adapted from this site