OLD FASHIONED CHILI RECIPE
- 2 pounds ground beef/turkey
- 2 small green peppers about 2 cups diced
- 1 small yellow onion about 1.5 cups diced
- 2-15 ounce cans Hunts Diced Tomatoes
- 1-15 ounce can Hunts Tomato Sauce
- 1-6 ounce can Hunts Tomato Paste
- 1-15 ounce cans water
- 2-15 ounce cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large dutch oven, saute diced peppers and onions until translucent and they start to caramelize.
- Add seasonings (minus the baking soda) and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously. (Make sure they don’t burn.)
- Add ground meat and brown until just done. It’s okay if it still has some pink in it before you add the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water and tomato paste.
- Bring to a simmer over medium low heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Then add the drained beans.
- Stir in the baking soda. The sauce will start to bubble up. Stir over medium heat until the bubbles have gone away.
- Remove from heat and serve with cornbread.
|This article adapted from this site|