Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
This easy chicken tortellini soup recipe is a healthier weeknight dinner option with a flavorful broth and plenty of comforting cheese tortellini!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 3 sticks celery finely chopped
- 3 large carrots peeled & sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 dashes Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked chicken (or more, to taste)
- 1 (25 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to taste
- Chop your onion. Add it to a large soup pot along with the olive oil. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes (ok if onion lightly browns).
- Meanwhile, chop the celery and carrots, then add them to the pot along with the garlic. Give it a good stir and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, and Italian seasoning. Increase the heat to high, and once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a rapid simmer and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and tortellini to the pot. Increase the heat to medium-high and let the soup cook for another 10 minutes or so. If it starts to boil furiously, you may need to turn the heat down again.
- Season with salt & pepper as needed and garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
This type of soup will soak up the broth, so it's best eaten right away. The leftovers are still tasty, but you may need to add more water or chicken broth.
See my tips within the blog post if you want to make this soup in your slow cooker.
This article adapted from this site