CROCKPOT BEEF TIPS AND MUSHROOM GRAVY
FOR THE MEAT
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 pounds beef tips an inexpensive cut like beef stewng meat or chuck roast is perfect
- salt & pepper
FOR THE GRAVY
- 1 yellow onion choopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 pound mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup red wine OR beef stock
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons salt or less depending on what kind of stock you’re using
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tablespoon cornstarch + cool water or up to 4 tablespoons plus cool water, as needed
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Cups
- Large Skillet
- wooden cooking spoon
- 5-6 Quart Slow Cooker
1: Brown beef: Add oil to large skillet over medium-high heat, then add beef (work in 2 batches if necessary; do not overcrow the pan). Season beef with salt and pepper and sprinlkle with flour; then cook until browned on all sides. Remove to a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
2. Cook mushrooms: Add onion, garlic and mushrooms to the hot skillet over medium heat. Cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Season with gorund paprika, parsley and thyme; then add wine (or extra broth), beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then take off the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Slow Cook: Carefully transfer mushroom and beef broth mix to meat in the slow cooker. Stir well, then cover with a lid and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
4. Thicken: Once cooking time is up, open the slow cooker and stir. Stir in a cornstarch slurry, then cook with the lid OPEN for 5-10 minutes or untul thickened. Serve immediately.
This article adapted from this site