- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can water, use the tomato sauce can
- 1 12 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 24 oz mozzarella cheese, grated (can use more)
- 16 oz cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 16 oz box lasagna pasta, you will only need about 15 noodles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pan, add olive oil, chopped onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until completely browned, drain fat. Return to pan.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, rinse and set aside.
- Lightly spray a 14 x 11 1/2 x 2 1/4 baking dish (or two smaller size baking dishes) with a non stick spray then add a small amount of meat mixture in the bottom of dish. Spread around.
- Add lasagna noodles (approximately 5, they will overlap onto each other).
- Next, spread 1/2 of the cottage cheese on top of pasta.
- Spoon 1/3 meat mixture on top of cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the Parmesan cheese.
- Next add 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of pasta, cottage cheese, meat mixture, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese.
- Final layer is pasta, remaining meat mixture and remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil, cook for approximately 50-60 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
This article adapted from this site