Chicken Pesto Pasta with Mushrooms
This chicken pesto pasta recipe combines some of my most favorite flavors: basil pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, fresh basil, red pepper flakes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb chicken thighs , boneless, skinless, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes , drained of most oil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 oz mushrooms , sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and more
- 8 ounces penne pasta (use gluten free for gluten free version)
- fresh basil chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add chicken (chopped up) with sun-dried tomatoes (chopped into smaller bites) to the skillet, sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Saute for about 1 minute on medium heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms (add another 1 tablespoon olive oil if needed) and saute for about 2 more minutes (or a little bit more), until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are softened.
- Add garlic, basil pesto, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Bring to boil, immediately reduce to simmer and simmer, stirring until everything is well combined. Remove from heat. Taste, and add more salt, if needed.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain. Add cooked pasta to the sauce, reheat.
- Top with chopped fresh basil.
This article adapted from this site