CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE
- 1 (16 ounce) package uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 (32 ounce jars) marinara sauce
- chopped basil for garnish optional
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain the pasta in a colander.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Pound the chicken to be about 1/4 inch thick or slice in half so they fry easily. Place the flour, egg, and Italian bread crumbs in separate bowls. Coat the chicken in the flour, then the egg and lastly the bread crumbs. Place to fry in hot oil until brown on each side and no longer pink in center. Remove from the skillet and slice into pieces.
- In a large bowl combine cooked pasta, chicken, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese and marinara sauce. Mix until combined.
- Spread the pasta in a 9x13 inch casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and uncover and top with remaining cheeses. Continue to bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through. Garnish with chopped basil if desired.
This article adapted from this site